We've been racing the Tinyvette, a 1969 Opel GT, in LeMons since 2010! We've learned so much about this car and racing thing during that time, and we have had a blast. I'm not sure how much longer we'll be doing this but at this point it is difficult to see us stopping any time soon.
Here are some highlights of our adventures with this car.
- A fan trophy for "Most Beautiful Car" at Arse-Freeze in 2010
- The Grassroots Motorsports "Most from the Least" award at Arse-Freeze in 2010
- Our first class win at Sears Pointless in 2011 (class C)
- Awarded the "Index of Effluency" at Sears Pointless in 2011
- Our first true 24 hour race was at Reno-Fernley in 2011.
- Our second class C win was at Arse-Sweat in 2011.
- Our first and so far only top-20 finish was at the Skankaway race at Infineon Raceway in October 2011.
- The car was exhibited at the California Automobile Museum in October 2011.
- We ran at the World of Speed event on the Bonneville Salt Flats in 2012, logging a 117.9 mph run before the engine failed.
- Awarded the "I Got Screwed Award" at Button Turrible in 2013
- Was part of a successful Guinness World Record attempt at Vodden 2014.
- We have gone through 8 transmissions while racing this car.
- We're now on the third build of our second motor. Practice makes perfect.
- We learned the hard way that an 11.5:1 compression ratio, a seriously shaved head, and free-flowing carburetors, do not play well together.
- Suspension damage at Goin' for Broken in 2011 cost us time, tires, many positions, a bet, and a lot of time fixing everything.
- We lost a door, both motor mounts, and a surprise to us, two fuel pumps at Arse-Freeze 2011.
- Alan has retired from racing.
- Blew up the motor at Arse-Freeze 2014.